CARAMELIZED TOMATO, ZUCCHINI, & GOAT CHEESE CLAFOUTIS
I am infatuated with Béatrice Peltre’s new cookbook La Tartine Gourmande. I have been obsessively testing recipes and all are perfectly divine! Here is one of my favorites and a great way to use up those beautiful end of season tomatoes.
· 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the dish and zucchini
· 1 red onion, thinly sliced
· Leaves from 2 thyme twigs, finely chopped
· 1 bay leaf
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 pound 2 ounces medium cherry tomatoes
· 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
· 1 teaspoon light Muscovado sugar
· 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise (use a mandolin if you have one)
· ⅓ cup cornstarch
· ½ cup whole milk
· 3 large eggs
· ½ cup heavy cream
· 1 ounce grated pecorino on Comté cheese
· 5-6 basil leaves, coarsely chopped
· Sea salt and pepper
· 2 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
Preheat the oven to 400°F; brush a 10” baking dish with oil and set aside.
In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and thyme and cook, without browning, for 4 minutes, stirring, until fragrant and the onion has softened. Add the bay leaf and garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the tomatoes and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring gently, then add the vinegar and sugar. Continue to cook for 3 more minutes. Discard the thyme and bay leaf; set aside.
In the same pan, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Arrange the zucchini slices at the bottom (you may need to do this in a few batches) and cook for 30 seconds on each side, adding more oil as needed. Remove from the heat and set aside.
In a bowl, beat the cornstarch into the milk. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Mix the diluted cornstarch, the heavy cream, and the grated cheese into the eggs. Add the basil, season with sea salt and pepper, and mix well.
Arrange the vegetables at the bottom of the dish. Pour the egg batter in and top with the crumbled goat cheese.
Place the clafoutis in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the egg flan is set and the top is golden in color.