Carrot Orange Soup With Cilantro Cream
A warm spicy carrot soup is the perfect way to celebrate the start of a winter meal. The touch of cilantro and yogurt adds bit of brightness and compliments the spice. I created this recipe for the Holiday 2015 issue of Sweet Paul Magazine.
· 3 tbsp olive oil
· 3 shallots, finely diced
· 2 garlic cloves, minced
· ½ whole red chili, finely diced
· 3 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
· zest of 1 orange
· 6 medium carrots, peeled and chopped into even chunks
· 3-4 cups chicken or vegetable stock, depending on desired thickness
· 1 tbsp orange marmalade
· 2 tbsp Grand Marnier
· sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
· ¼ cup whole milk yogurt
· ¼ cup half-and-half
· 2 tbs finely chopped cilantro
Heat the oil in a medium to large heavy-bottomed pot and lightly sauté shallot, garlic, chili, ginger, and zest until translucent.
Add carrots and stir to combine for about 2 minutes. Add stock and Grand Marnier and cook for 45 minutes or until carrots are tender.
In a blender, add marmalade and soup, and blend until smooth and creamy. Transfer back to pot. Add juice, salt, and pepper and cook on medium heat until beginning to steam.
Mix yogurt, half-and half, and cilantro in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper and serve alongside or drizzle over soup.
Photography by Linda Pugliese, Food and Styling by Carlo Geraci