Deep & Dark Flourless Chocolate Cake
· 7 oz semisweet chocolate (45–50% cocoa)
· 1 cup butter + more for greasing
· 4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
· 1 cup sugar
· 1 teaspoon good vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon instant espresso coffee, to bring out the deep chocolate notes
· Berries for garnish
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Line a 9” spring-form cake pan with non-stick paper and grease the pan.
Break the chocolate into small pieces and melt it, with butter, in a heat-proof bowl, over hot water.
Beat the egg yolks with half of the sugar.
Fold in the melted butter and chocolate mixture.
Beat egg whites until frothy, using an electric mixer.
Gradually add the remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
Fold in the beaten egg whites.
Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. This will take about 35–40 minutes.
Use a knife to separate the cake from the non-stick paper.
Photography by Linda Pugliese, Food and Styling by Carlo Geraci