DAIRY FREE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
This for all who want a healthy and delicious dairy free soup this season. It was a big hit at a recent Thanksgiving dinner!
· 1/2 cup olive oil
· 6 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
· 2 medium onions, minced
· 6 cups of butternut squash, peeled & diced into 1/2″ pieces (about 2 medium squash, 3 pounds total)
· 5 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
· 2 ripe pears, peeled, cored & diced
· 1.5 teaspoons of ground coriander
· 1/2 teaspoon of ground allspice
· a few fresh thyme or oregano sprigs (optional)
· 1 teaspoon sea salt
· 1/4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
· fresh herbs and roasted pepitas for garnish
Heat large heavy bottom pot to medium heat. Add olive oil, then add onion and minced garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes or until onions and garlic become translucent and fragrant.
Add pear, coriander, allspice, fresh herbs (optional), salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the squash and cook for about 15 minutes or until squash becomes golden in color. Stir occasionally.
Add stock and stir to combine all ingredients well. Bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat to low. Continue to cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the squash is tender.
Allow soup to completely cool. Add soup to blender and blend the soup until it becomes smooth. If you added any woody thyme or oregano sprigs that are still tough, remove these stems before blending the soup.
Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Pour back into pot and re-heat before serving. Ladle the warm soup into bowls and top with fresh herbs of your choice and roasted pepitas.