Sautéed Kale with Lemon, Garlic, Pine Nuts, & Currants
· 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
· 10 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
· pinch of red pepper flakes
· 4 lbs Tuscan kale, stemmed and cut into 1” strips
· ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
· ¼ cup black currants
· ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
· ½ tablespoon zested lemon rind
· salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Put extra virgin olive oil, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a large sauté pan.
Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until garlic begins to turn golden. This will take about 6 minutes.
Raise the heat to medium-high, add the kale in small batches, and cook, stirring until all is tender. This will take about 10–12 minutes.
Remove from heat, and add toasted pine nuts and currants.
Sprinkle with the lemon juice and rind.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Photography by Linda Pugliese, Food and Styling by Carlo Geraci